Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Best Books

Even though I am a fast reader, I only had time to read 20 books last year, which was the same number as the previous year.  This is nothing compared to Jackie, my oldest daughter, which seems to knock out 20 in a month.  I love to read and just need to make more time for it.

Here is my favorite 5 from last year:

Columbus: The Four Voyages, by Laurence Bergreen
This book was fascinating.  It is the most historically accurate, and exhaustively detailed re-telling of Columbus that I have ever come across.  It is a must read.  You will not be sorry.

Impact, by Douglas Preston
A thrilling book with lots of plot twists.  It is thought provoking, well paced, and a fun read.

The Last Man, by Vince Flynn
I love the Mitch Rapp character, and have read every one of Vince's books with him in it.  Sadly, Vince Flynn lost his battle to cancer this year at a very young age; and Mitch Rapp is gone now too.

Arguing With Idiots, by Glenn Beck
This book is hysterical, profound, and sad because it is so full of truth.  Well researched and documented to void all debate.  An exceptionally great book.

Gloria Swanson, by Stephen Michael Shearer
This book is the story of one of the first true movie stars, from the age of silent pictures.  Stephen does an incredible job of researching Gloria, and recreating her life in a way that makes you think you know her.  Plus, Stephen is an old friend from a previous life of mine long since passed; and is the very first author that I know personally, and of which I now have an autographed copy of.  Gloria Swanson is still on the featured shelves for purchase at Barnes & Noble.

So, what were some of your favorite reads last year?

No comments:

Post a Comment