Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Diversity of Music

I love music; no shocking revelation there if you know me at all.  I blog about it often.  My iTunes downloading is not an addiction, but I have become rather prolific at it over the years, and for '14, I just notched my 200th download for the year a few minutes ago.

Movies keep getting worse each year, novels are easier to predict (stay tuned for a blog next week about books), and most TV shows are pure bunk.

Fortunately for me though; I still can find solace, enjoyment, or high wattage satisfaction with so many genre's of music.  And not just from today either.  Last year, one of my favorite tunes was from 1957.  This year, one of my favorites was from 1967, and a few others from the early 70's. 

It doesn't matter how old a song is, good music will ALWAYS be good, no matter what year.  Amazing Grace was written in 1779; and it's even better today with a big band.

And what about the 1812 Overture?  Wow, talk about transcending through the ages.  It was written in 1880 by the great Russian composer Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky to commemorate Russia's defense of the motherland against Napoleon's invading Army in 1812. 

It has since become a common accompaniment to over-the-top fireworks displays, including those in the USA, and many parts of Europe during Independence Day celebrations.  This symphony was also heard prominently in the film 'V for Vendetta' from 2006 in which V blows up government buildings of the future while the 1812 Overture symphony is playing.

Music is trans-generational.  Last night on a TIVO'ed Fallon episode I watched Tony Bennett sing a duet with Lady Gaga.  Tony is 88 (yes, at age 88 his voice was strong!), and Gaga is 28.  And while I did not care for the song, I respected the fact that these 2 artists with 60 years of age separating themselves could relate so well to their 'art'.  They truly enjoyed each other's company, and I could also tell that they were having genuine fun.  It was not just one song for them; they made an entire album!

My Top 20 for 2014:

20.  All I Need Is Love, by the Beatles.  ~ Rock.
19.  Uncharted, by Sara Bareilles.  ~ Pop.
18.  Hooked On A Feeling, by Blue Swede.  ~ Pop.
17.  Never Been Any Reason, by Head East.  ~ Rock.
16.  Bottoms Up, by Brantley Gilbert.  ~ Country.
15.  Timber, by Pitbull.  ~ Pop.
14.  The One I'm Running To, by 7th Time Down.  ~ Christian Rock.
13.  In The Blink Of An Eye, by Mercy Me.  ~ Christian Rock.
12.  Beat Of The Music, by Brett Eldridge.  ~ Country.
11.  This Will Be My Year, by Train.  ~ Pop.
10.  Alone, Together, by Fall Out Boy.  ~ Rock.  

09.  Born Free, by Kid Rock.  ~ Rock.
08.  Greater, by Mercy Me.  ~ Christian Rock.
07.  Ain't It Fun, by Paramore.  ~ Pop.
06.  The Only Name, by Big Daddy Weave.  ~ Christian Rock.
05.  It's A Beautiful Day, by Michael Buble'.  ~ Pop.
04.  My Immortal (the band version), by Evanescense.  ~ Rock.
03.  I Am A River, by Foo Fighters.  ~ Rock.
02.  Oceans, by LifeChurch.TV.  ~ Christian Pop.
01.  The World That He Sees, by Trans Siberian Orchestra.  ~ Rock.

What were some of your favorite tunes for 2014? 

Please feel free to share; I'm always looking for new great songs!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment