Sunday, October 20, 2019

2nd Chances

 


This is my family. My heritage. My life. They are my 62nd birthday present (which was yesterday).



Have you ever received or given a 2nd chance in life for anything? It's not just about forgiveness. Maybe it was a 2nd chance to take a test you failed, or given a 2nd chance with a person you loved. Or given a restaurant a 2nd chance because of a bad first experience.

There are so many ways that we can give and receive 2nd chances. I've had so many in my life . . .

Pam gave me a 2nd chance 44 years ago when we began dating a 2nd time; and we're now at 42.5 years and counting.

God gave my oldest daughter Jackie a 2nd chance when she was hospitalized with double pneumonia at 3 months of age. She was very close to death; but thankfully we took the advice of Nanny and rushed her to the hospital.

God gave my youngest daughter Angela a 2nd chance when Pam went into premature labor on Christmas Eve 1980. She was only 5 months old in the womb, and we are thankful the Doctors were able to surgically stop the labor. She was born 2 months later, still 5 weeks early; but with a much better chance of survival.

And then, the big one. God gave me a 2nd chance 867 days ago when I had a stroke. Most (or all) of you know that I am not ashamed to profess that I am a Christian; though far from a perfect one. This 2nd chance gave me another reason to shout it.

Having worked full time since the age of 14; today's generation has not a clue what work was. I do not say this with pride, but I did used to have pride that I was always so busy in my life. And that was not a good thing; my priorities had gotten out of balance many decades ago. Other than a few weeks of vacation each year, my life was consumed with 60-90 hours of work each week for my entire life. I am so thankful I never lost my family. 

At age 12, I was mowing yards every moment of daylight. At age 13, I was throwing a large paper route. At age 14 and 15, I was mowing yards, throwing two large paper routes 7 days a week, and washing dishes in a Chinese restaurant 3 nights a week. I learned about 'profit' and 'savings' before most of my friends even had a checking account. 

At age 16, I went to work at McDonald's, and immediately quit all my other jobs so that I could focus on my future and only work one full time job. During my Senior year, when I was elected class President of our business class; I had just received a promotion to Assistant Manager, and was earning more money than my teachers. I wish they had never told me this . . .

That work ethic continued through a variety of industries. I've spent 17 years in the food service industry, and then 14 years in the insurance industry, and now 19 years in the construction business. Yes, that adds up to 50 years of work over a 48 year period; but the 2 year variance is because of a 2 year overlap with insurance into construction; as during the transition I was doing both.

While God prospered me, and blessed me coming and going; I was still lined up for a life or death encounter.

The day of my stroke, I recommitted my life to Christ, and made several promises. 867 days later, I have not broken a single one. I promised to surrender my life daily, to never again work more than 55 hours in a week, with a goal not to exceed 50, and to take 4 vacations a year, and to 'let it go', by never working again past 7p at night. I also promised my family that they could be my accountability partners; and they too have fulfilled their end.

With my 2nd chance that God gave me; He has been faithful to multiply my time because I give it to Him first thing in the morning. I stopped tracking my hours; but if you know me at all, you know that I have a gift for numbers. 

My internal calculator tells me that I am averaging 45 hours a week; a far cry from the 75 that it used to be. And as a tool to help my with my daily devotions; I also began using over a year ago the YouVersion Bible App, and have now logged 450 days in a row using their daily devotion series. Plus, this year will total 6 vacations (personal and business) by the time it is over. I'm working less, and yet, our company will probably be very close to an all time sales record this year!

I am a blessed man. I am so thankful that I got a 2nd chance. I also know that God will give anyone a 2nd chance if they ask for one.

Do you need to forgive someone, or give someone a 2nd chance? Your boss? Your brother? Your sister? Your President? Your Pastor? Your spouse? Your best friend? Or do you need to give Jesus Himself a 2nd chance in your life?

Thank you for giving it consideration.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment