Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Snow: Another Perspective


A picturesque scene of grande sized flakes floating to their destinations while I look out from my garage porch this morning. 

Pretty? Yes, I guess.  Needed moisture? Absolutely.  Good for business?  Hardly.

Snow is the bane ('source of harm' for those of you that don't play WWF) of our business.  It is hard enough to work outside in cold conditions; snow makes it impossible.

As long as I can remember, I have never liked snow, and I never miss it.  Maybe it is because of 12' drifts against my door while living in a mobile home in Dodge City 30 years ago.  Maybe it is because of not having gas or electricity in the same mobile home because of snow.  Maybe it is because of relentless freaks buying up every carton of eggs, milk, cheese, and 50 lb. sacks of beans whenever the forecast calls for snow.  Or maybe it is because it gets so dirty when it melts. 

Rain is easier to deal with as rain outs are common, especially in spring.  But snow? No, until today, we had dodged the snow bullet this year, and I was counting down the days to spring at being only 8 days away on March 1st; thinking we might escape it.  But nope, it got us.

Snow is a double whammy.  We don't work while it is snowing.  We don't work while we wait for it to melt.  We don't work while we wait for it to dry.  A good rain might delay our work for up to a week.  A good snow will delay us 2x to 3x that long.

So, going to have plenty of time in the office ~ not that that is a bad thing; as there is plenty to do and get caught up on.

Hey, what's that?  Do I see ELO's 'Mr. Blue Sky', yes, I do!  Hallelujah, bring on the sun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment