Saturday, July 6, 2013

4 Family 4th of July

My 4 of July started at approximately 20 minutes after midnight when I fell asleep, and then began again right at 5 hours later when I was up for the day. 

I had wanted to take off Thur/Fri/Sat, but did not finish all the most important things on my desk, and did wrap them up around 10a.

Then, it was full bore readiness for the day of festivities . . .

Get the ping pong table ready, take out the chairs, the bikes, the big wheels, the basketball goal, the scooter, and the electric 4 wheeler.  Burn a CD of special America songs to play on the patio.  Stock up the refrigerators (Pam had already done so), and start on the water guns. 

After all 6 of those were placed into action, start on the water balloons.  My, what a daunting task that was.  Took me well over an hour, and I think I got 50 completed.

Pizza made it here around Noon, and was soon vaporized . . .

Then, the water slide arrived.  We went in on the costs and split it 4 ways with Jan's family, Jackie's family, Angela's family, and Nini.

There was not a 4th of July water slide, so Pam got the Happy Birthday water slide; I guess because America was having its 237 birthday!



The afternoon evaporated for me as I spent approximately 4+ hours ON the water slide with the kids, and admit to having as great a time as they did.  My oh my though, how pooped I was.  Climbing up that thing wore the skin off of both knees all the way to my shins, as it was conservatively climbed every 2 minutes for 4+ hours.  My elbows were burned many times from going down on it face first on my stomach with a child laying on my back (Ava most of the time, as she was the bravest), and using my elbows as brakes to stop us at the bottom.

4p got here, and it was time to start the steaks . . .

Bring them up to room temp, season, and get the Hasty Bake started.  Hungry again as I write this.

All 4 families assisted in bringing various side items for the steaks, the best being Angela's new recipe for potato salad; and wow, after taking the vinegar quotient down just a tad ~ it was delicious.  I was disheartened somewhat though when there was none left for a late night snack.

After dinner, the kids went right back to the water slide (not much of the other Nini's house toys saw much action that day), as it was contained to 95% water slide action; the adults did some clean up, and got ready for fireworks.

Steven was finishing up his homemade bombs.  He blew up a paint can, two 5 gallon buckets, and a flower pot; and that is just what I remember.  In the immortal words of Angela "so Phil Dumbfee".

The kids did a few hours of 'daytime' fireworks while we waited for nightfall.  And finally, it was dark, and the show began.  All the families had brought their own fireworks, and for about 90 minutes put on a really enjoyable show.

The finale though was provided by our new next door neighbor.  Most of his fireworks were at the $100 a pop or better level, as I remember 5 aerials that were commercial grade.  At $100 a pop, it made for a fantastic neighborhood show.  This is one type that he shot off:
http://fireworkssupermarket.com/Product/500_Gram/RogueWave

11p came, and we were all hugging and kissing each other bye.  I took a shower, and collapsed into bed; barely able to walk.

I love my family.  I love memories like this.

I am a blessed man.


No comments:

Post a Comment