Tuesday, June 3, 2014

My Girls / Our Heritage


There are not a lot of old photo's of me that I don't want to shred or burn the moment that I see them, but this is one that is borderline acceptable.  It is back when I had bad hair and wore glasses.

It was Angela's 12th birthday, which makes Jackie 14, and me 36.  Such great smiles; all courtesy or orthodontics's :-).

Last Friday, I listened to a sermon from Joel Osteen (one of my all time favorite preachers), and this sermon was on family, focusing on Dad's and their children.  It was encouraging and uplifting at the same time, as it made me so thankful for the great life we have had with our daughter's, and also for the overwhelming amount of great memories that we have made together.

To this day, we still continue to make great memories with them and their children as we see them at least weekly at our home. I love the memory of our girls constantly bringing their friends to our house when they were teenagers (well, at least one of my daughters did, the other one was like me and was not much of a social butterfly :-).  Their teenage years are some of my most cherished memories with them and their friends.

Both of my girls have stable marriages and great husbands, Angela married 8 years to Joe, and Jackie married 14 years today to Steven.  Both of my son in laws are Christians too, attend church, and raising their children as well in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.  Happy Anniversary today to Jackie and Steven, I love you.  Both of my girls are building the same type of family heritage that we built with them, and to me, that is the ultimate compliment.

Love, honor, cherish.  Daughter Daddy's have a special calling.  If you are a daughter Daddy, you know what I mean.  God made a special crown for daughter Daddy's, and I where mine with the highest level of pride and sense of urgency.  I am not going to fail.  I am not going to let them down.

I want my girls to know they are loved, they are beautiful, they are smart, and most of all; when they were children, I wanted my girls to know Jesus so that we would spend eternity in Heaven with them.  What a calling.  What a heritage.  Why would any Dad not want that for his daughters?  It's sad, but I know there are millions of daughters that don't get that.  Mine did though, that's what was important to me.  Mine did.  Thank you Lord.

These are my girls.  They made me a Dad.  I usually am not at a loss for words, but I truly can not explain how deeply my love runs for these two.  Since before they were born, to every day of their life, my love for them has never wavered.  To this day, every time I see them, I still want to hold and shower them with hugs and kisses.

The only problem now with that though is that there are grandchildren also vying for my attention; and while I could certainly stand to use a little more kissing and holding time with my girls; the world's best grandchildren are wanting the same thing from their Pappy.  What a great problem to have!

Emily Giffin said it best: "Your son is your son until he has a wife; but your daughter is your daughter for the rest of her life." 

I am a blessed man.  Count your blessings, name them one by one.

I name Jacqueline Renee Fournier Kueny, and Angela Corinne Fournier Franco as two of the best blessings in my life.  I love you girls.  Now and forever.  You are blessed going out, and you are blessed coming in. 

- Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment