Sunday, August 4, 2013

Food Trucks


On Saturday's of years gone by, one of Pam and I's favorite things to do was hop in the Vette and take off somewhere, anywhere; just getting out and away.  It was a time of respite, but we also both enjoyed the Vette just for all of its own majesty.

Alas, the Vette days are at a temporary impasse, and I never thought it possible that I would miss having one so badly.  We'd had one for 12 years, and I sold my blue C6 in order to buy my new Ford CNG truck.  It's just not the same taking BAT (Big Ass Truck) out for a day to cruise around; but until we buy the new C7 sometime next year, it's going to have to do.

About a month ago, we ventured out, and I'd had a small surprise in store for Pam: Food Trucks.

I did not tell her in advance, as I didn't think that she would approve of my culinary choice for lunch, but I've wanting to stop at them for years.  Goodness, there are over 50 in Tulsa if there is one.

On this particular Saturday, we went to the corner of 31st & Sheridan.  We pulled up, ordered the Tacos de Carbon carne asada fresco de pico e maize tortilla sans salsa e dos, en mucho verde salsa e tres.

Translation: Pam had two steak tacos without salsa, and I had three.  It's so much easier to say it in English, and we can say it with 1/2 the words.  I think they were $2.50 each, and we walked next door for our tea.  We could have had bottled Jarros, or canned Horchata, but we both prefer tea.

The tacos were delicious.  Fresh, hot; wow, they really were good.

But, no way will 3 taco's fill me, so, we drove to the other corner of the same intersection, and I had a BBQ brisket sandwich at another food truck.  It was quite pricey at $7, but it too was very good, hot, fresh, and delicious.

Yesterday, Pam and the girls went to OKC for the day to shop (there are not enough shopping places in Tulsa), and during their 13.5 hour round trip, I gave serious thought to stopping at food trucks for lunch or dinner. 

I'd been out for about 1/2 a day looking at houses to purchase for flipping, but my timing just wasn't right for when they were open, or when they didn't have lines 8 deep at the window.  While traveling down little Mexico alley from 41st & Garnett to 11th & Garnett, I counted 12 food trucks in that 3 mile stretch, and that is just what I saw while trying to keep my eyes on the road, as there could have been more.

Instead, I stopped in at Popeye's for the new waffle batter coated chicken tenders.  BIG mistake; gosh those tasted horrible. 

Wished that I had opted to stand in line at a food truck . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment