Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Morning Drivers

Early mornings are my favorite time of the day.  And I mean 4a to 7a, before most of the city is awake and on the road.

I do not like to be on the road though between the hour of 530a to 630a.  That is when the road is filled with the aggressiveness of young 'leaders', dying to get to work before the lemmings arrive that they supervise.

I know the ones, they are recklessly speeding by in their BMW's, or cutting you off from the merge lane in their Lexus', or tailgating you so close in their Cadillac Escalade that you can't see their front end.  And they are male 80% of the time.  Testosterone fueled, Starbucks amped; male idiots.

It astounds me how much aggression is on the road so early of a morning.  No courtesy, no following rules, just flipping a bird, and coming within an inch of clipping your corner tail as they whip around you.  And it is not just one isolated occurrence.  This is a culmination of observation over many-many years of early morning road driving.

My favorite car is a Corvette.  But, as with most Corvette owners, you don't own one to speed through traffic.  Sure, we can blow away almost anything on the road, but we don't have to prove it, and we Corvette owners want to be alive tomorrow to enjoy another drive next weekend.

I drive conservatively.  I lumber around in my BAT.  There was a time in my life when I drove like a male idiot; but losing a license for 30 days, and completing a defensive driving class taught me a lesson at age 20 that has lasted with me since then.

You have to watch out for the other guy (and my wife does this even better than I do), especially at 6a, as that must be one of the worst times of day to be on the road!  Scary.

Be safe today.

No comments:

Post a Comment