Monday, November 24, 2014

The Natural





 
 
Owen Michael is naturally gifted at so many things.  It is effortless for him. 
 
Talking to strangers.  Check.  He even asked me for permission to do this before we walked into Bass Pro.  When we were done for the evening, he stopped and told a couple that he approved of the clothes that they were about to purchase.  He told the lady "That looks nice."  She looked at him kind of befuddled, and didn't really say anything.  The husband though told him 'thank you', and then we moved on.  Owen then looked up at me at said "Well Pappy, you told me that I could talk to people."
 
Noticing attractive girls, teenagers, and women?  Check.  Talking confidently to them.  Check.  Asking the blond 28 year old Hooters waitress if she is married?  Check.  (Yeah I made that one up, she is probably not older than 22.)
 
He can throw a tight spiral at 5 years of age better than most 8 year olds.  He can dribble a basketball so well that it makes me stare in awe.  He has the power and grace to sink a basketball at the 10' goal height!  (I first noticed the natural knee bend of him shooting the ball when he wasn't even yet 3, and he has only gotten better the last 2 years.)
 
And talk about power?! This boy has natural strength too.  He can drill a baseball into my back fence like it was just hit by a teenager.  But alas; he does not like team or individual sports. 
 
Instead, he is going to be an outdoor sportsman.  And he will be great at that too.  He will be a completely happy married camper one day; provided that Mrs. Owen is young, fit, attractive, and more than likely blond.  He is an equal opportunity offender of the sexes.  It doesn't matter how pretty the little girl is; if he doesn't think so, he quickly moves onto the next one.  And if you are a little boy that looks or acts like a baby, he is not afraid to tell them that and move on to someone more mature.
 
~
 
Last Friday night, Romeo and I went to Bass Pro; his #1 most favorite thing to do in the entire world other than camping.  If he could, he would be living in a tent or a cabin right now.  We spent a few hours in Santa's village.  He was an eagle eye on the gun range.  I had no idea he had become such a great shot; another 'natural' thing for him.  He was nailing it.  I never expected him to hit a thing, but instead he was hitting the targets more than he was missing.  His first time through, he had shot the deer, the pheasant, the raccoon, and the bear (twice for the bear).  If you look close at the shooting photo, you will see the red light still glimmering from confirmation of the bear hit.
 
He loves dogs too.  (And I hear what you are saying, nope, he dang sure didn't get that from me.) 
 
He was distracted for several minutes as he was watching Santa have his picture taken with these three beasts of the apocalypse.  Man those were big dogs; easily weighing 250 each.  I stayed well away from them as they passed by my direction, and I had the camera on zoom to get the picture of Owen completely enamored by these dogs.  Plus, of course, he had to pet them, rub them, and got permission to kiss them as they walked by his way.  Yuck. 
 
Owen is not just a dog lover; he loves all animals in general, just as much as he loves the outdoors.
 
~
 
In the top photo, my little Daniel Boone needed a pee break, and he insisted on shooting the toilets after he had finished his business.  And yes, he washed his hands!  While he is best known for taking #1 aim outdoors when he is at home; when he is with me, I will do my best to keep him civilized and not peeing in the trout stream as we walk to the bathroom.  He was eyeing it for sure; and I could see the wheels turning in his head . . .
 
I love you Owen Michael.  You bless my life more than you will ever know.
 
- Pappy
 


No comments:

Post a Comment